Thursday, September 22, 2016

"Remembering is a labour, not a luxury." 
--Umberto Eco, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana.


Like a fine story...

One of the marvelous short stories I have read was unpublished and written in Tamil. 
 It was written by a friend Prakash Ponniah.  

Years later I still vividly remember the ending. The story ends thus: the relatives of the protagonist are engaged in an animated discussion about his marriage and the prospective bride. Amid  the hubbub in the house he hears the clatter (anger?), which he recognizes is coming from next door where she (his neighbor) is washing dishes.

A simple story shaped to fineness by meticulous writing.  
After reading I remember giving the manuscript to another friend. (I encouraged Prakash to write more). But I lost the manuscript. Lately, like the manuscript Prakash too left this world, silently, without having written anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment