Saturday, May 18, 2019

Brian Murphy



We didn't meet as he wished.

Brian Murphy, a Facebook friend, passed away recently. What is given below is from his FB conversations. Over to him —



I find over and over again that there's nothing on gods green earth which can get unreasonable people to see reason...It's very true that any nationalist movement peppered with religious fervor like the RSS is fascist to the core. Don't feel bad, brother...Listen to some D.Gilmore...Relax. Oh, the article I read was written by Pankaj Mishra on Modi...Very well written. Very close to the bone...Modi is a dangerous maniac - megalomaniac whohas really gotten the taste for power. Very disturbing.
----------------------
Brother...Can't say if you're seriously busy these days...If not? Fuck that! Or, even if you are - let's write a story together...I have a cool idea...Did work - a lot, actually...Like 23,000 words....Fucking lost it all this last time when laptop crashed in Manila. Nothing was left on the hard drive! What kind of fuckery is that? I was kicked in the jaw...Because I am a Knucklehead - not at all techo-savy - even about back ups...Or worse - when i know, I still don't do shit to change things anyways. Big problem I've got...I lost the first version when I dropped that laptop off a table...They tell me the hard drive was cracked - Fuck me....Never mind.
I have an interesting India story - pretty far-out, actually - it would be awesome to work with an Indian writer who could assume characters...Give them the proper voices.
Anyway...Think about this. Should be a fun thing. Maybe, just the sort of thing I need now, here, in this place...
So....
Suss this over, my guy...

--------------------
Brother...I thought it would be smart to exchange phone numbers - in case for whatever reason we lose touch here at FB...Mine is, 9640506926...It's a cell phone...I most definitely will make it to Chenai one fine sunny day.

--------------------


'Glory and loveliness have passed away'*
You're gone, times have changed
the trees are being felled, woods destroyed. There is no rain.
Drought of feeling and felicity.
The rivers are going dry
What was green once
fast growing grey.
The bird calls sounds like laments,
as ruthlessness rules
in the absence of mercy
and grace.

*from John Keats, Dedication, to Leigh Hunt.

ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment