Sunday, April 2, 2017

In Nagapattinam...






(2 April 2017)

A call from Nagapattinam. On the line is R.Soundarajan.  

He was a reader of Indian Express who visited me at (my first assignment was in Nagapattinam) John Kennedy's --then Sun TV reporter-- office near the CPI (M) office in Nagappatinam.
He was a regular reader of my stories and used to encourage me. 

We exchange pleasantries. I inquire about his health.

 "I have arthritis. So, I'm confined to my house."

"What cannot be cured must be endured," he chuckles.

"I'm alright," he said as if to reassure me.

"I'm reading a lot," he said.

"Since I'm not able to move out friends come and meet me. Even recently friends from Bangalore visited me," he said.

"If you happen to come this side, we should..."
"Sure," I said.

As for food- morning, afternoon and night he has arranged with a hotel...

He inquired about family, our health, about my daughter...

I sent him a link of my story (a find of Rajaneesh Vilakudy) which appeared in today's editions of Mirror.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31821&articlexml=An-old-boy-gives-back-to-Chathanur-LP-02042017008006

Soundarajan, who served with the postal department, is a bachelor. He didn't marry since he was taking care of his chronically ill sister. She passed away sometime ago.

P.S. I lost John Kennedy to Covid-19. Soundarajan? I dread what if he fails to pick up my call. God...!

----------

No comments:

Post a Comment